Monday, December 24, 2007

The Moon

Yesterday afternoon\evening we went out to pick up some last minute bits and pieces and do the Walmart Christmas shop. Dusk was falling and the sky turned beautiful shades of red and orange. And then we saw the moon. It was a full moon and looked huge. I swear I've never seen it look that big back home, which leads me to my question...

Is the moon actually 'bigger' here because we're nearer to the equater and therefore slightly nearer to the moon, or is it to do with the desert atmosphere here, or what? Does anyone have any insight into this, because it'd be really cool to know why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debs, I'm not really sure. I do know that I've lived in Washington and Tennessee and at times the moon seems absolutely huge so I don't think that it's because of the desert or closer to the equator. My guess is that it has to do with the position of the earth on it's axis.

Pig wot flies said...

It's an optical illusion. The moon's the same size in terms of the area of the sky it covers, but if it's lower in the sky, it looks bigger.