Friday, November 23, 2007

If music be the food of love, play on

I just discovered something else that has a different name here in the States. Musical notes. 
Back home we call the minims, crotchets, quavers and the like.  Here they call them half, quarter and eighth notes. (Please don't take those as direct translations, because I couldn't remember which order the English notes come in!)


HP said...

What about semibrieves and hemi demi semi quavers!!!!
Love you

Kathleen said...

These are easy! And not just because I was a music major in college. I don't know what minims, crotchets, or quavers are, but the half, quarter, eighth notes, and sixteenth notes... well, it's all fractions. Math. That's how many fit into a whole note. (at least in 4/4.) Although I can completely understand how it can be so odd when you're used to a completely different vocabulary.usvol