Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

I have no idea why this photo is upside down, but I'm just going to run with it!

Have you ever made homemade chicken nuggets? They are super easy (and I guess this coating could be used on pieces of chicken like thighs or drumsticks too, although I've never done it).

Take your chicken and cut into nugget sizes pieces. These can be as big or small as you want. You just need to make sure they get cooked through, and I check that by cutting one in half. But anyway, first the method. Cut the chicken into pieces. I usually use chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs. Whatever I've bought reduced on last day of sale, and then popped in the freezer until we want them.
Set up your bowls - first bowl I put cornflour. A throw back to when I lived with my parents and we made everything gluten free, but you could use ordinary plain flour as an alternative.
Second bowl - a beaten egg, You can add more later if you need it.
Third bowl - breadcrumbs, or a trick I learnt from slimming world was to use potato flakes. Aka smash, but I bought the cheapo value ones. For the kids I generally go with plain breadcrumbs, or seasoned with salt and pepper. However, for myself and Menard I add some extra kick. Lately I've used some Jamaican all purpose seasoning his mum brought back from Jamaica for us. Or a chicken seasoning Menard got somewhere. So neither of those are helpful options for you, and that's probably why I don't do cookery blogging very often. But basically, use some seasoning that you like the taste of! Go for something with a bit of kick, or keep it chilled out.

Lastly, you need a greased baking tray. Then get dipping. You will get a bit messy, so you could wear gloves if you want to. I just wash my hands well afterwards! I also tend to only use one hand. Which is a trick I learnt once from a book. They were talking about rubbing butter into flour, but they said either only use one hand, or keep a plastic bag handy, in case you need to answer the phone or go to the door.

So, take a piece of chicken, dip into the flour until covered all over. I tend to do a few pieces at a time. Then into the egg all over, then into the breadcrumbs. Finally onto the greased tray. Once the tray is full (leave a little bit of space between them), pop them into the oven. I usually cook them at about 190C/gas mark 4/something a bit hotter than 350F (I know 180c is 350F, and I can't be bothered to look up the conversion for 190C)
And cook them until they're done. As I said before, this depends on the size of your nuggets and how many you put in the oven. But use common sense, and cut the biggest one open, to see if it looks cooked inside.

There's definitely a reason why I don't write recipes very often. But I hope this inspires you to try it at least once?!

No comments: