Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Monday. That was the night that...

...I saw a fox cub on my way home from work, helped Imogen figure out how to open the bonnet of her car (the problem was that to start with we didn't put the lever enough, and had to persuade the bonnet to realise it wasn't actually open, so that we could pull it harder the second time), saw a hedgehog, and saved the world.

Ok, so I didn't exactly save the world, but I did watch over the hedgehog until it was safely out of the road and hidden in the bushes, (and then in my dreams last night I think I also had to stand in the middle of the road to make a car stop so it didn't hit the hedgehog, and I think that's kind of like saving the world, or at least saving the hedgehogs world, even if the second time was only in my dreams). It's all getting a bit confusing, but basically whether it happened in reality or not I'm proud of the fact the I got to see the hedgehog (and tell Imogen what it was, cos she said she'd never seen one) and play a part in it's well being.

Come to that, I also didn't run over the fox cub. It was on the other side of the road and looked like it might run in front of my car, so I slowed right down and luckily it actualy ran back the way it had come. But still, it might not have done that if I hadn't slowed down, and personally I see enough dead animals on the roads round here without killing any of my own.

I think Bekki once hit a pheasant (not peasant in case you were worried), but that's another story. Talking of Bekki, she's got an exam today, this afternoon I think, so all the best to her with that. Once that's out of the way she's going to make me a costume. It's quite exciting, hang on, let me see if I can find a useful link...
Here we go - later on this month all of my class at school (the one I work in, rather than my class - as I'm always telling the kids "I've been to school already, so I'm not going to do the work for you") are going to Kentwell. Am I'm really looking forward to it. I'll update you more on the progress of the costume, and the trip itself as and when. I might even post a photo, if I don't look too silly!

3 comments:

Pig wot flies said...

That sounds like an exciting day, wildlife spotting wise. I keep seeing dead squirrels. Not quite as exciting. And squashed hedgehogs.

Yes I did once hit a pheasant. It flew into my car. I don't think I killed it. At least it wasn't stuck to the car or the road when I stopped, so I'm hoping it flew off a bit stunned and live to fly another day.

Kathleen said...

I hit a possum once, in a highway. It shouldn't have been there, and by the time I saw it I didn't even have time to slow down. I felt awful about it, and I hope it died quickly.

Please post photos of your costume once it's done!

Anonymous said...

Yay Kentwell. I went there. It was fab fun and i had a cool costume and i came gome with wool. So if you see any you can buy it and i'll spin it for you cos i'm good at that. Yay.