Saturday, August 29, 2009

A history of cravings

The first was burgers. Not just any old burgers, mind you, none of that McDonalds or Burger King ickyness with all their weird extras like mayonnaise. No, preferably a barbecued burger, in a bun, with plenty of fried onions, and nothing else.

Next came chocolate spread. I couldn't get enough of the stuff. I think I killed that craving when I bought the biggest jar of nutella I could find. There's nothing like having a large amount available to kill your craving. I am, however, still addicted to most things chocolaty.

Around this time I also had a brief flirtation with fruit. I'd sit with my chopping board, knife, and a big bowl right next to the fruit bowl, and chop up at least one of everything in there, and then crunch and munch my way through the lot.

Next came the one that most people probably know about - ritz crackers and cheddar cheese. This has probably lasted the longest of my cravings, but I think I'm finally over it as I sat down with a little pile of them the other day, and didn't even make it through the initial pile (whereas previously I could easily go back for a second or third helping).

At some point jelly babies also became a particular favourite. I wasn't fussy, the supermarket own brand ones were almost as good as the original Bassets jelly babies, although I think the Sainsbury's one tasted better than Tesco's. It was probably the Tesco's ones that put me off them again. I could still happily eat a jelly baby or two if they were offered to me, but I would no longer want to scoff the whole bowl.

And now, with only a few weeks to go, I'm back on the fruit and veg kick. That's partly cos I woke up the other day with an ulcer on my tongue, and realised I hadn't eaten much fruit and veg for a few days, and that I was feeling a little run down. It's also connected to me finally finding counter space for our new juicer to stay out, and not have to be put away and then taken out again anytime you want to use it. So whether this is strictly a craving, or just me attempting to get my diet back on track a little, I reckon I'll be sticking with the fruit and veg for a while. Or I will be once I've stocked up again - right now there's only one apple in the fruit bowl, and quite a lot of carrots slowly dying in the fridge. Time to go shopping, methinks.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Fruits and veggies are good! As long as you eat the good stuff you're all set. A craving is your body's way of telling you you need something, so always pay attention and give in!